Visual Development Artist
Are you a visionary that thinks big, but never overlooks the little details?
Skydance Media’s newly formed animation division seeks a Visual Development Artist to join a dynamic team to lay the foundations for its two upcoming animated feature films Split being directed by Vicky Jenson, (Shrek, Shark’s Tale) and Luck being directed by Alessandro Carloni (How to Train Your Dragon, Shark Tale, Kung Fu Panda). In this role, you will imagine and propose ideas for what the animated world should look like based on the story, characters and action. You will own the “look” of the film and maintain that vision with characters, backgrounds, environments, colors, lighting, and even props.
The images you execute will enable the Directors and Production Designers to establish the final vision for the films.
- Work as part of a team to contribute to the vision for the movie
- Create art for film concepts, environments, backgrounds, characters, color keys, textures, lighting and prop design
- Generate work in the form of sketches, color keys, rough designs, and thumbnails
- Perform research that will inform the design of the work
- Create presentation materials as needed
- Create/come up with inventive ideas to add depth, humor, emotion and resonance to visual concepts
- Rework material from feedback and notes while maintaining a fresh perspective.
- Meet scheduling deadlines
- Proactively communicate production issues/questions/concerns
- Degree in Fine Arts or related field and/or 3+ years design experience on commercial film/show
- Sound knowledge of story structure, character development, staging, and pacing.
- A comprehensive understanding of both visual storytelling and how an art department functions.
- Advanced knowledge of Photoshop.
- Ability to create action & humor expressed through drawing.
- Ability to work collaboratively, communicate clearly, present work, and be a teammate.
- Demonstrated sense of composition and story-telling.
- Superior ability to represent ideas visually and to suggest alternate concepts
- Skill at expressing verbal descriptions in an artistic way
- Knowledge of anatomy
- Sense of entertainment and humor
- Ability to work with minimal supervision both independently or collaborating within a group.
- Sense of humor and resilience in the face of shifting priorities and demands.
- Legally authorized to work in the US.
- Requirement to be, or become, a member in good standing of the Animation Guild (Local 839)
Only applications submitted through the linked job form will be considered.