Visual Development Artist
Mid-City, Los Angeles
Are you a visionary that thinks big, but never overlooks the little details?
Skydance Media’s newly formed animation division seeks a Visual Development Artist to join a dynamic team laying the foundation for its two upcoming animated feature films, directed by Vicky Jenson (Shrek, Shark’s Tale) and by Peggy Holmes (Secret of the Wings, The Pirate Fairy, The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning), respectively. In this role, you will imagine and propose ideas for the look of the world based on its story, characters, and action. You will own the “look” of the film and maintain that vision with characters, backgrounds, environments, colors, lighting, and even props. The images you execute will enable the Directors and Production Designers to establish the final vision for the films.
- Work as part of a team to contribute to the vision for the movie
- Create art for film concepts, environments, backgrounds, characters, color keys, textures, lighting and prop design
- Generate work in the form of sketches, color keys, rough designs, and thumbnails
- Perform research that will inform the design of the work
- Create presentation materials as needed
- Brainstorm inventive ideas to add depth, humor, emotion and resonance to visual concepts
- Rework material from feedback and notes while maintaining a fresh perspective
- Meet scheduling deadlines
- Proactively communicate production issues/questions/concerns
- Degree in Fine Arts or related field and/or 3+ years design experience on commercial film/show
- Sound knowledge of story structure, character development, staging, and pacing
- A comprehensive understanding of both visual storytelling and how an art department functions
- Advanced knowledge of Photoshop
- Ability to create action & humor expressed through drawing
- Ability to work collaboratively, communicate clearly, present work, be a team-player
- Demonstrated sense of composition and story-telling
- Superior ability to represent ideas visually and to suggest alternate concepts
- Skill at expressing verbal descriptions in an artistic way
- Knowledge of anatomy
- Sense of entertainment and humor
- Ability to work with minimal supervision both independently or collaborating within a group
- Sense of humor and resilience in the face of shifting priorities and demands
- Legally authorized to work in the US
- Requirement to be, or become, a member in good standing of the Animation Guild (Local 839)
Skydance is a diversified media company founded by David Ellison in 2010 to create high quality, event-level entertainment for global audiences. The Company brings to life stories of immersive worlds across its feature film, television, interactive, and animation divisions.
Skydance is an equal opportunity employer committed to building and fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce. We welcome and consider applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy status, military/veteran status, disability, or any other protected category.
Only applications submitted through the linked job form will be considered.