Systems Engineer - Animation
Mid-City, Los Angeles
The Systems Engineer at Skydance Animation is a member of the Information Technology team and will be responsible for deploying, operating, and maintaining the studio’s infrastructure, systems architecture, storage, compute, datacenter, client management standards, and application infrastructure. The IT team provides a wide range of services, including data center operations, cloud integrations, networking, large compute and storage farms, directory and communication services, backups, databases, operating systems, mobile computing, and technical support.
- Evolve and maintain the studio’s data center, server infrastructure, virtualized environment, and hybrid cloud environment
- Evolve and maintain studio services, including identity, domain, dns, alerting, monitoring, file transfer systems, code repos, media/digital asset management, and many others
- Evolve and maintain operating systems and standards for both servers and client machines
- Evolve and maintain the storage environment including proactive evaluation and configuration of the performance tiers, snapshots, caching, backup/recovery, site replication, and disaster recovery plans
- Evolve and maintain the render farm including configuration, deployment, performance and capacity monitoring and forecasting, and cloud bursting capabilities
- Evolve and maintain the configuration management solution for all deployed workstations, laptops, and mobile devices
- Evolve and maintain a containerized environment in collaboration with the production technology and research and development teams
- Collaborate with Production Technology to meet the infrastructure needs of pipeline development and workflow changes
- Identify areas of improvement and present those opportunities to technology leadership including options, cost-benefit breakdown, and integration plans
- Keep overall studio infrastructure current and efficient by being aware of industry trends
- 5+ years of experience as a Systems Engineer, or relevant experience
- BS degree in Computer Science, IT or IS Management, Information Security or equivalent
- Extensive experience installing and configuring Linux (CentOS/RHEL)
- Extensive experience Windows Server 2012-2016, Windows 7-10) at enterprise scale
- Extensive experience with Microsoft Active Directory (DFS, DNS, DHCP, GPO’s, SCCM, SCOM)
- Experience with identity management infrastructure/architecture with multi-factor authentication (Okta, Duo, etc..) with understanding of standard authentication protocols such as LDAP, Active Directory, SAML, and OAuth.
- Experience in the design and support of Enterprise Storage infrastructure for both Block, File, and Object on-premise and cloud (e.g. Isilon, NetApp, Qumulo, SwiftStack, Pure, XtremeIO, IBM XIV, S3, etc..)
- Extensive experience with NFS/SMB file protocols and how they operate in Mac, Windows, and Linux environments
- In-depth knowledge of VMWare Virtualization w/ VSphere 6.x Administration & VM Backup Technology
- Experience implementing and maintaining Backup and Recovery services as well as disaster recovery.
- Strong monitoring expertise with Sensu, Prometheus, Xabbix, Solarwinds Orion, or similar.
- In-depth knowledge of information security best practices
- Experience with high-performance computing environments, or render farms
- Experience in the Visual Effects, Animation, or media and entertainment industries a plus
- Experience with collaborative media environments, video conference, multi-site media-review systems, or screening rooms a plus
- Experience or familiarity with cloud architectures and platforms such as Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, Google Cloud, and Microsoft Azure in a multi-region deployment
- Scripting knowledge (e.g. Powershell, bash scripts, Python, Ruby, Go)
- Experience with automation software (Ansible, Salt, Chef, etc..) a plus
- Experience with VDI and Thin Client technology a plus
- Experience with Mobile Device Management a plus
- Knowledge of Avid Products is a plus
- Must be a team player
- Willingness to be, “on-call” and work outside of regular work hours, when needed
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and to deliver them on time and with quality
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work closely and efficiently with studio teams.
Skydance is a diversified media company founded by David Ellison in 2010 to create high quality, event-level entertainment for global audiences. The Company brings to life stories of immersive worlds across its feature film, television, interactive, and animation divisions.
Only applications submitted through the linked job form will be considered.