Can you put your imagination on paper. Read further…
Skydance Media’s newly formed animation division seeks a Story Artist to join a dynamic team to lay the foundations for its two upcoming animated feature films Split being directed by Vicky Jenson, (Shrek, Shark’s Tale) and Luck being directed by Alessandro Carloni (How to Train Your Dragon, Shark Tale, Kung Fu Panda).
Story Artists translate take an idea and turn it into visuals that convey the all facets of the overall direction of the film including emotion, humor, and action. You are an expert of character anatomy – both physical and emotional and can translate something abstract into something solid. You partner with the Directors and Head of Story to develop expressive, entertaining storyboards. You usually are given script pages as a guide but also must be able to take an unfinished idea and flesh it out into a full scene.
Your mind is a paintbrush.
- Designs and/or illustrates concepts through sketches, painting and storyboards for feature films and commercial projects.
- Creates storyboards in the form of presentation boards as well as rough thumbnail boards.
- Performs research in order to participate in conceptual design.
- Creates color concepts that may include marker sketches, paintings, and computer-generated imagery.
- Makes artistic presentations as needed.
- Refines concepts technically and visually and follows through with implementation.
- 3 years of experience for animated features.
- Ability to express character emotions and attitudes through drawings.
- A sense of filmic staging and story telling.
- Knowledge of anatomy.
- Knowledge of perspective and composition.
- Ability to come up with inventive ideas to plus story material.
- Sense of entertainment and humor.
- Preferably he/she should be able to present the storyboard in an effective manner.
- Willingness to rework material multiple times while keeping a fresh eye.
- Expert Adobe Photoshop skills
Only applications submitted through the linked job form will be considered.